5/1/2014 0 Comments
Essentials of Hiking
Keefe Gorman is managing director of wealth management at Merrill Lynch in Ithaca, New York, providing high-net-worth clients with guidance on their entire wealth outlook. Outside of his work with Merrill Lynch, Keefe Gorman enjoys snow skiing, tennis, roller blading, and hiking.
Many people enjoy hiking because it allows them to stay active, to connect with nature, and to renew themselves. To make hiking as easy as possible, there are certain essential items that all hikers must have. The following are things one should have on every hike.
1. Hiking shoes or boots. Depending on the terrain and duration of the hike, there are generally four different types of hiking shoes/boots to choose from.
2. Navigation devices, such as maps, a compass, and GPS. These items are useful in finding campsites, water, and emergency exits.
3. Extra food and water. In order to prevent water-borne illnesses, hikers should also have a way to purify backcountry water.
4. Appropriate clothing. One should dress in layers, avoid cotton, and always carry a hat and sunglasses to avoid exposure to the sun.
5. Other items that can ensure safety, such as a first aid kit and sunscreen to further protect against sun exposure.
6. Various useful tools, such as a light, fire-starting implements, a whistle in case one needs to call for help, and a knife or a multipurpose tool, which can be used to repair other gear or to fashion useful items from available materials.
7. A daypack or backpack that can be used to carry items comfortably and easily and preferably has an option for rain cover.
Having these essential items makes for a much more prepared hike.
Michael Keefe Gorman, a broker with Merrill Lynch, serves a geographically diverse group of individual investors, businesses, and non-profits from his office in Ithaca, New York.
All CAMP GOOD DAYS Chile Community Outreach Education Financial Advisor FOODNET MEALS Golf Golfers Hiking Investment Investments Keefe Gorman Keefe Gorman Merrill Lynch Mancil Davis MEALS Merrill Lynch M. Keefe Gorman Moguls New York Outdoor Activities Robert Mitera Rotary Club Of Ithaca Sunrise SHELTERBOX Skiing SKI TOUR Sports St-lawrence-university TENNIS Tips Travel WEALTH ADVISORS Wealth Management Advisor WORLD PRO SKI TOUR WORLD PRO SKI TOUR'S